Monday, March 15, 2010

I need a little advice

I have a child who has the worst fear of going to the dentist. Every time we talk about it she freaks out. I'm talking freaks out like crazy. Nothing else freaks her out like the dentist. I know I have to take her soon. This is my question in two parts...
A. When I take her to the dentist should I warn her before we go, and deal with all the intense drama and most likely her anxiety and fear will just make her physically sick. Should I warn her the moment we get in the car to go? What would be the best approach??
OR
B. Just show up to the dentist and just get it over with. She wont have much time to deal with her anxiety. Or will that be dramatizing on her? To just shove her into that. Any suggestions would help. Thanks a bunch

5 comments:

my--four--sons said...

I say be totally honest. Tell her as soon as you make the appt. Keep reassuring her that the dentist is nice and just wants to make sure her teeth are healthy. If you want I can have Parker talk to her and tell her that he loves the dentist.

Holly said...

Have you ever thought about taking her in to just meet the dentist and staff? They might even let her play with their equipment and go over what they do there. It worked for us with Caleb. Good luck!

MJHTJH said...

Take her and don't tell her, she doesn't need to know it's the dentist until she get in office, then she'll figure it out and they can give her some laughing gas and all is well. Well I hope all is well. Has she ever been to the dentist? I don't like them very much in my adulthood, let alone my childhood.

Laura said...

Naomi doesn't mind going to the dentist . . . as long as they don't touch her teeth. But she really needs a good checkup. With my niece they finally had to take her to a dentist that did sedation dentistry so that she could sleep through the appointment. I'm considering it with Naomi. Good luck!

Walt and Julie Johnson said...

Do you go to a pediatric dentist? They're usually great with kids.